Monday, October 11, 2010

Early Writing Roots-WGHS


I am the person on your extreme right, with a nice afro...1981 WGHS

Facebook has renewed long lost contacts since my youthful highschool days. Recently an old friend of mine RA posted a photo taken during my last days in highschool, with my classmates and our Chemistry teacher. For sixth form I attended Wesley Girls High School, Cape Coast, and was imersed in an all girls boarding school for the first time. For two years from 1979-1981, I enjoyed everything about being born female and living with girls. It was also in Wesley Girls that Mr. Offei, who taught us the literature/language section of General Studies advised me to join the Ghana Writers Association on the basis of two essays that I had written for class projects. I think there might have been a junior writers group. He imagined that I might someday be a published writer of fiction even though I was a science student hoping to study medicine in university. My other memory of Mr Offei was my small part in a laborious play on Pan Africanism, which he directed. At that age we needed more colorful fare, but he seemed totally oblivious to that fact. Still, I cherished his suggestion that I could become a writer someday.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know we had a WGHS connection? No wonder. You're were among the ladies of breeding...yes I had to go there LOL! Don't worry, ALL my siblings are Akoras so I love you all to bits! Mr Offei definitely saw something in you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adwoa, you were lucky to have had the best of both worlds. It has been proven that girls that attend all-girls schools tend to perform better than those that attend mixed schools.

    ReplyDelete