Thursday, October 14, 2010

Early Writing Roots: Achimota

photo by Akora Suzette Ayensu (my room mate at UST)

I was in form four (grade 10), 1978 when our English teacher Mrs Adu fell ill and left. She was such a robust, firm and fun teacher and I missed her. She had taught me in Form 2A and while she would take no nonsense from us, she had also bought the whole class a basket full of BOFLOT (round donuts) to enjoy. Some time later Mrs Watts joined us. My vague memory of her suggests that she was from Chicago, USA and possibly a diplomat's wife. Mrs Watts called me aside one day and said to me that I had a talent for writing, which I ought to nurse. Her advice was to buy a notebook and begin to write poetry or whatever else I felt like writing. So I bought a blue exercise book and wrote. Mostly, I wrote poetry and often it was about love because I had a dashing teen boyfriend in Aggrey House. From time to time, she asked for my notebook and read it. She never made any suggestions or criticisms except to say, "Well done, keep writing." She had her eye on me. She would choose me to debate on topics in class, something I would not have opted to do. I was quite shy and it was only much later I discovered the joy of public speaking. These small whispers have guided me in my creativity, even though most of my formal education was geared toward the application of science.

3 comments:

  1. Adwoa, very interesting! Who was this "Aggrey House Muse" for your early poetry writing? Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing day. After I posted this link on Facebook, a discussion with old schoolmates helped me to locate Mrs. Watts. We have exchanged emails today, thirty one years later. Wow! She is still teaching writing in the USA. I also learned that she hails from Pennsylvania, not Chicago. Her husband was a TV producer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Audrey,
    Thanks. Just as you were thinking, we shall let sleeping dogs lie. LOL!

    ReplyDelete