Friday, September 24, 2010

BOOK SIGNING at Telling Tales


The last part of a book presentation is the most fun: the book signing. This is especially so when one has very interested and generous fans who are excited about the book and the author.


In 2008, I was the luncheon keynote speaker at the University of Akron, Ohio to a gathering of 500 teachers and teachers in training. I delivered a speech and power point presentation: "The Taste of Words," to an enthusiastic post lunch crowd who immediately afterwards lined up to buy my book: "The Pot of Wisdom: Ananse Stories", and to have them signed.


Wow! In my memory it was a stampede for books. Ah, gross exaggeration, of course, but how good it felt to sit down and sign for a long line of book buyers. May it happen to me again and again. When I sign, I like to exchange a few words with the reader. If they ask me to sign the book to a prticular name, I always ask for the spelling of the name. I like to write at least one word in the book, but sometimes I can barely think of anything to write. I guess sometimes just signing your signature is good enough. My favorite word for signing is ENJOY! But I may write Happy Reading or other (hopefully) witty sayings. I think kids especially need a word or two. I have had one signing event with Between Sisters so far, but there are many more planned along the way. If you buy my book, watchout for where I may be. I would love to sign it for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment