Saturday, November 13, 2010

READING ACCOMPLISHED-WORDS WORTH

photo by Fule at Words Worth Books, Waterloo, ON
HAVE you ever stopped to ask why people attend a reading? It's not a show as such, no theatrics or high performance, just an individual reading their own writing. Of course, I do my best to read well with expression, and my skills at storytelling help me a lot. Basically, the book is in hand, one's eyes are following the lines and one looks up only now and then in an attempt to engage the eyes of one's audience. And yet reading is thrilling.
On Saturday, November 13th, I read at Words Worth Books, Waterloo. I arrived early with Fule and Maureen which was nice because I got caught up with my old friends at the bookshop, Tricia, Bronwyn and Mandy. I even got to browse through several books and I met some of the book lovers who were there to attend the reading.
I started by introducing the book, the idea and themes, and then I introduced my reading glasses to my audience. (A joke is always a good ice breaker, and soon everyone was invested in Gloria's world, spun by my words.)
It is my desire, when I read, that we see through Gloria's eyes, taste the flavours on her tongue and smell the odours of her world. I hope my audience can get to know her and like her enough to want to know her journey.

When I read, I usually invite questions from my audience. People ask me about my process and motivation. They ask about my inspiration. Sometimes we discuss my characters or themes or what I plan to do next. When the questions end, I tell my listeners I'm happy to sign books and I invite them to buy a book and another for a friend.
At Words Worth, I enjoyed the private exchanges while signing books. There was a teacher who surprised me by buying a book for each of her fifteen students. There were friends I hadn't seen in a while, whose kids had grown so big. There were people I had never met until then, and some people who had heard me read or perform somewhere else.
People attend readings to know a bit about the writer. This makes it a little more special when one reads the book. The book becomes distinctive with the writer's autograph and the experience leaves a memory as well as inspiration. After today, there may be just one person in the audience who will write and publish a book someday, because they heard me read.

1 comment:

  1. How interesting. You sound so passionate about what you do sis. You're an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete