Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Different BookList presents Between Sisters, a workshop with the author.

ANGELOT AND ME AND THE BOOK "BETWEEN SISTERS" AT A DIFFERENT BOOKLIST
I was very honoured to present a workshop on my new book, "Between Sisters," at A Different BookList, a book shop that has supported and sold not so usual books in Toronto. The shop is co-owned by Itah Sadu who is an eminent storyteller in Toronto, as well as an author of several acclaimed children's books.
I first met Itah in Guelph, where she presented her stories at the River Run Centre. What struck me about her then was her compelling voice and her enunciation in the telling of her stories. Itah grabbed your attention and kept it, just by her voice. She has a true in-your-dreams storyteller's voice and is a storyteller to the her bones. Itah is compelling even during a regular conversation.
In 1998 my picture-book, The Queen's New Shoes was launched at A Different BookList, and my friends, family and I all trouped down from Guelph and Kitchener for the celebration. Since then Itah and I have met at festivals and at literary conferences, namely, the large "Reading for the Love of it" conference in downtown Toronto and the Toronto Festival of Storytelling. In 2007 Itah was very instumental in the selection of my book, "The Pot of Wisdom: Ananse Stories," for the bicentennial celebration of the abolishment of slavery. I was very honoured to speak at a Toronto District School Board Schools Event with the amazing actor, playwright, storyteller and writer, Richardo Keens Douglas. I am a fan of Itah Sadu, whose passion for the youth, stories and books energize me to do more for the arts and for the youth.
On Wednesday November 17th, Itah and I visited Brookview Middle School to speak to the book club of Ladies for Life. After that we went out for the tastiest Corn soup on the planet at the vegetarian restaurant on Bathurst Street. We enjoyed Chai Latte with honey instead of sugar, and then we returned to her shop to await our guests.
Itah is amazing at pulling the most interesting of guests, being a storyteller, writer, volunteer, activist and book store owner. I sat in wonder as her guests poured in, some of whom I knew well. I was greatly honoured by the presence of Dan Yashinsky, Rita Cox, Ken Setterington, Mariella Bertelli and Celia Barker Lotteridge. I met new authors, Jody Nyasha Warner, author of "Viola Desmond Won't Be Budged"and Angelot Ndongmo who has written the cutest books for boys and girls, the first of which is, "Loving Me." I met educators, youth workers, artists, academics and the nice people who attend Itah's events. To put the icing on the cake, my old schoolmate Diana Knol dropped by with her daughter to have her book signed.
I was too full and too focussed to try Doubles, a Caribbean treat, but I saw everyone else chomping down and I knew I was missing something good. That evening, I learnt to my great amusement how much Itah loves those Nollywood movies with sequels and parts from one to five. Oh, how we laughed!
I think my book talk went very well. Certainly the faces were very friendly and the audience was generous in buying books. I am very fortunate that Angelot took photos with her Blackberry which means I get to share a photo with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment