Friday, November 19, 2010

Keep Right! The dream starts here.....

three of my books on display

Keep Right is the sign one sees on the walls of the large corridors of Brookview Middle School where I met the Ladies Forever Book Club. The sign is an attempt at traffic control, but the school motto is, "The dream starts here." I walked in with wirter, storyteller and entrepreneur, Itah Sadu of A Different Book List, a unique book shop on Bathurst Street, Toronto. By the time the day was done, I discovered how passionate Itah is about the schools in the city.

In the library we created something of a circle with chairs and I was invited to talk about my book. Soon I was up on my feet trying to engage thirty girls in a discussion. I discovered to my amazement, that my having qualified as a doctor was of great interest to the girls, and typically it is the one thing I hardly speak about in my incarnation as an artist. We live to learn!

After the discussion, several little sisters were selected to receive my book "Between Sisters," as prizes for good listening, good participation and good questions, which meant several young ladies got to take the book home. J was the best contributor. She is the president of the club and she also got to see us off to the office. She has promised to email me to share what she thinks of "Between Sisters." It was of interest to me that J has Ghanaian parents.

The Ladies Forever Club seeks to inspire, motivate, educate and support young sisters in Brookview Middle for success in life. The club is organized by highly motivated teachers, one of whom I met, Ms. Thompson. Then I discovered that the principal of Brookview, whom I met, is the dad of Montreal Canadiens hockey star, Subban! How's that for a school boy's dream?




No comments:

Post a Comment